I'll be straight up with you. There are a number of reasons to rag on the second coming of Revolver's Golden God Awards, set to take place Thursday night at Club Nokia in downtown LA. It's almost too easy. You've got the "Just Cause 2 Hottest Chick(s) in Metal Award", a performance by a band - The Devil Wears Prada - that should only be attending to receive the "Hoobastank Worst Name" award, and a "Best Guitarist" category that does not include one nominee under 40 (and therefore omits a guitarist that even Rolling Stone recognizes as great - Matt Pike). The nominess across the board cause us to believe that this evening will once again be a celebration of old men, which harms us all because it sends a message that metal's best days are behind it. But on this day of rebirth ("Death means nothing, there is no end; I will be reborn"), I am going to focus on the positive. As someone says, in darkness, there is always light. The highlights:
- Ozzy Osbourne will present the Metal Blade Golden God Award to Judas Priest frontman Rob Halford
- Dave Grohl will present Lemmy with the Revolver Golden Gods Lifetime Achievement Award
- Slash and Grohl will join Lemmy to perform “Ace of Spades”
- Fear Factory will make their first LA appearance ever with their new line-up
- The "Best Underground Metal Band" doesn't suck anywhere close to as bad as it could with Behemoth, Between the Buried and Me, The Black Dahlia Murder, Converge, The Dillinger Escape Plan, and Obituary all vying for the prize (We vote for CONVERGE)
A night honoring Halford and Lemmy may be worth the price of admission alone. Lemmy and Slash performing multiple songs together is a nice bonus, and if Neil Fallon of CLUTCH somehow wins for "Best Vocalist", this will go down as the best awards show ever. And more goodness: we have 5 pairs of free tickets to attend this even. If you want them, email us at firstname.lastname@example.org. First 5 to contact us win. We will announce when the tickets are gone. For the rest of you, tickets are on-sale here.
All free tickets have been given away. Thanks for entering!